Ah, curry. The spice of life. If you’re anything like me, you buy curry powder in pallets. Curry is definitely one of my favorite spices. It consists of coriander, cumin, fenugreek, turmeric, and magic powers.* After reading countless curry recipes on the internet and trying them all out, I have come out with my own version of a Red Lentil Curry that I find to be quite grand. It’s warming, tasty, and packed with protein and fiber. (*Not totally accurate.)
Red lentils have this beauty to them I can’t describe. Maybe it’s the color. Maybe it’s Maybelline. If you read my last post, you would know that lentils are a powerhouse legume of protein, as well as fiber! Lentils are cheap, full of nutrients such as folate and manganese, and are quite versatile! One cup of cooked lentils provides 18 grams of protein, 16 grams of fiber and 90% of your DV folate needs (that’s a B vitamin by the way)!
This recipe has been tried and tested several times by me before getting a better consistency of curry. If you like your curry thicker, I would add less water. If you accidentally added too much water, I learned a neat trick to fix this. Slurry! Pour 1/4 of flour into a bowl and add the curry liquid to it- maybe about 1/2 cup and stir until it creates a sludge-like consistency. Add back into the curry and stir! This will start to thicken your curry. Hopefully you don’t get to this point like I have before!
- Canola oil- $2.00 ($0.12 for the recipe)
- Onion- $1.59 ($0.53)
- Garlic- $1.99 ($0.60)
- Carrots- $1.49 (0.36)
- Potatoes- $3.99 ($0.30)
- Red lentils- $3.00 ($0.75)
- Vegetable broth- $2.00 ($1.00)
- Curry powder- $5.49 ($0.68)
- Cumin- $2.99 (0.23)
- Salt- $2.00 ($0.10)
- Green peppers- $1.59 ($0.53)
- Coconut milk- $1.89
Total: $30.02 Total for recipe: $7.09 Total per serving $1.18-$1.77
Red Lentil Coconut Curry
Flavorful curry dish full of protein and nutrients to warm the soul.
•1/2 TBS canola oil
•1 cup chopped onion
•1/2 TBS garlic
•2 medium carrots
•2 medium potatoes
•1 1/2 cup red lentils
•2 cups vegetable broth
•2 TBS curry powder
•1 TBS cumin powder
•1 TSP salt, more to taste is optional
•1 cup green peppers, chopped
•1 can of coconut milk
- In a large pot, saute garlic, onion, and peppers for 2-3 minutes.
- Add carrots and potatoes. Saute for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add lentils, coconut milk, and vegetable broth.
- Add all the spices and mix well.
- Bring pot to a boil.
- Lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 15-30 minutes, until curry has thickened and potato has softened.
- Remove from heat when it’s done, serve with white or brown rice.